Gallery

Friday 10 February 2017

Drawing diary: January


After finally having finished my new year's card design I didn't have to think about what my next drawing project would be, because Kay of My Open Sketchbook had it all covered. Kay namely came up with a 30 Day botanical drawing challenge, and because I love plants, the decision to participate was easily made.

Plants are actually one of the first things I started drawing. Back in my teens I took a bet with a friend to draw all the wild Dutch plants in the field. I still haven't made it (there are over 1.400 species), but it did teach me to draw plants realistically and fast (as often I had to finish a rare species before a forester would discover me at the wrong side of a fence). This time I wanted to take the opportunity by trying to make pieces that were artistically interesting rather than necessarily realistic.




Source: Botanical Drawing Challenge on My Open Sketchbook


This was the challenge. Unfortunately, I only found out about it on day 10 or so. And then, after a few days, real life took over and I couldn't do more. But this is what I did manage to draw.



12. Cactus & 17. Lily pad


This was meant to be a set of three, all made with the same four colours, that would look nice framed together. But then I actually lost these drawings. I know, silly, right? The cactus and lily pad are floating around somewhere in my room (and it's not even a big room, I'm just really quite good at losing things) and since they're on the same paper I can't complete it with the third one (I was thinking about the string of pearls).

Anyway, they were a first attempt at not drawing realistically and not using a reference photo for drawing plants. It was also the first time I tried out the special paper meant for markers that my brother gifted me for my birthday. The amount of ink it can endure is insane.

13. Hydrangea

This one is made with water colour paint. To be honest, I really don't like this plant (even though we have them in the garden, inherited from my great-aunt that once owned the house), so it was a challenge to depict them in a way they would appeal to me. It's interesting that the hydrangea has so many flowers that I get slightly dizzy from looking at it too long. I think I managed to express that in this image as well, because I get overwhelmed if I stare at it (although that could also be the exorbitant amount of pink).

14. Juniper

When looking for pictures of juniper trees, I found this interesting specimen (here drawn by me with pencil and charcoal). This juniper is apparently somewhat of a local celebrity in the nature reserve El Sabinar on the Canary island El Hierro, because there are tons of pictures of the same tree circulating on the internet. The reserve is well known for its dramatic looking capricious Canary Islands junipers (Juniperus cedrus). They look so different from the shrub-like vertical cone form I'm used to seeing in the wild here in Western Europe (Juniperus communis). 

I really enjoyed this challenge and wish I could've done more. On the positive side, I'm happy with everything I made. Perhaps I'll pick this up in the future and catch up on all those challenge plants I didn't get to draw.

26 comments :

  1. Spectacular drawings. 12 and 17 especially look like they would make great "clip art"-style illustrations. Quality over quantity, and it's always enjoying the process rather than getting to the end that is the more rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you were interested in drawings at all, Jeromai. Cool. I absolutely enjoy the process, but for drawing it is the end that is particularly rewarding for me (contrary to gaming). The process can actually be kinda frustrating and time consuming, but it's fun when I end up with a tangible thing that I can look at and be happy with.

      Delete
  2. I think I already commented on these on twitter but might as well comment again. With more words too because Twitter character limits suck!

    I love number 12 and 17. The colors look pretty vibrant and for some reason remind me of concept art for games.

    That Juniper looks like something that would fit right in one of H.P. Lovecraft's stories. It just looks like something went terrible wrong with the tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to see people like 12 & 17 so much, because it almost felt like cheating for me to make them. Since they are so simple, it cost me about 15 mins each to make, whereas 14 took half an hour and 13 3-4 hours(!).

      I hope Lovecraft once visited the Canary Isles. The junipers are the tallest things there, so they more or less all look like that. They really are badass trees for enduring the ocean wind.

      Delete
    2. That is not too hard to understand. People give value to the drawings based purely on the final result. While you are also judging it by the amount of work and time it took for you to draw them. Nothing inherently wrong with either, just different values.

      Delete
  3. That juniper drawing is excellent. There were a few yew trees bent over in evocative forms back in England, mainly in old churchyards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love trees, especially capricious ones. I would probably like those old churchyards.

      Delete
  4. When I saw that lily pad, I first said "Pac-Man!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, my subconscious was probably trying to tell me to quit drawing and play some games.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow this is a really good idea! Might help me get better :) Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved thinking about what creative things I could do with the preset subjects. Would be cool if it helps you, too. :)

      Delete
  6. I like the concept, and the plant theme is one I really like, used to do photography myself and that's all I did! I liked the cactus drawing the most, love cacti.

    I sent you an email the other day by the way, not sure if you got it or if it was lost among other emails, did you see it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another cactus lover! :O Cool to hear you like plants as well, from an artistic point of view. I will take the message from the comment section: easy/fast doesn't necessarily mean inferior. :)

      Delete
  7. Love your drawings! I'm glad you got to participate! I haven't even shared my last five days worth haha, and it's my own challenge! They're drawn, I have just been lazy and not photographed them.

    Also, because I'm an art nerd, may I ask what kind of paper you got for your markers? I love using marker specific paper - it's so crazy the difference it makes in terms of how the ink looks and absorbs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see your contributions! I absolutely loved the first ones you posted on Twitter. I think you probably posted most on Instagram, which I don't have, so I probably missed out on tons.

      The paper is from Crafter's Companion and is called "Neenah Classic Crest Card". That doesn't tell me much at all - perhaps it does to you. I think they focus mostly on the colouring market.

      I expected the surface to be smooth and not absorb ink right away, but in fact it did absorb the ink. I had to apply multiple layers in order for the colour to gain its true brightness (the lilypad leaf has at least eight layers!) and it was still tricky to get an even distribution without lines (but as you can see it was possible). Because I'm still a noob when it comes to markers, I'm not sure if that's always the case, so I can't really give you a sensible review.

      Delete
  8. I should've participated in this, I suck at drawing plants -_-;

    Too bad you lost the cactus/lily pad drawings, they look really cute. I hope you find them again! The juniper tree looks almost painful, weird how it can grow like that :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But hey, you can draw people. That's something *I* suck at!

      You can always try this challenge later if you want to try something different. I think I'll do the same for the plants I missed out on... just without the time pressure. :)

      Delete
  9. I love your hydrangeas. They look so calm with your medium choice. Love seing how you play with the subjects. Here's hoping you can find the cactus and lily pad. :)

    Now that I am completely done with oil painting, I may have to try the drawing challenge for something fresh to do. Especially since life has kicked up a few notches as of late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool that you like the hydrangea! That one was definitely the most challenging to get right.

      I may have said this before, but I've never done oil painting. So that's something that intrigues me (but it feels harder to get into for me, I wouldn't know where to start). Would love to see what you did with it one day. Or what your plants look like if you do decide to take up this challenge.

      I hope life will be better to you soon. Let me know if there is any change with the horse adventure. :)

      Delete
    2. Sometimes I find the more challenging things tend to turn out better because it really forces you to look.

      I was going to put a link to my blog post yesterday but I see you already found it. :) I definitely plan on sharing the plant challenge once I can get started on it.

      Thank you! Hopefully it will be. I put the application in for the horse yesterday. I am on edge and so nervous about it. I feel like I picked good references (at least I hope I did) but the facility has some barbed wire which isn't normally accepted. No idea what they will decide but I would very much like for it to be a positive yes!

      Delete
    3. I hope your application will go well. I'm rooting for you!

      Oh, and for all the people that might still be found lurking in the comment section: check out cfcallier's drawing diary! It's really cool. :)

      http://moonsmeadow.blogspot.com/2017/02/drawing-diary-for-january.html

      Delete
    4. Thank you! I appreciate the support! For the horse and the blog. :)

      Delete
  10. It's beautiful! :) I like mixed media art, I should take it again. I haven't had much time lately. I would get stressed with such a challenge btw :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you made any art, Pepi. How cool!

      For me the challenge was extremely relaxing. I guess it helps that I'm really comfortable with the subjects, so I could focus on what I wanted to do with them. And I already decided from the beginning that I wouldn't stress myself out on trying to draw every day, because I just didn't have the time for it.

      Delete
  11. I love your juniper, I even have seen in the Netherlands very old junipers that also grow a little bit crooked (but not often). If you ever make juniper postcards, I will buy them (hint, hint), Then I can use them as birthday cards etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making postcards, now that would be fun! I don't think we're in the majority with our love for crooked trees, though, so it would be hard to monetize it. I would have to make a webshop with a decent selection of things... which would be cool but an entire new project - remind me when I have too much time on my hands, will you? ;)

      Happy you like the juniper so much, though! It's funny that everyone in the comments has other favourites. :)

      Delete

You can insert links, images and videos to your comment using these tricks.